|Churches in Charlotte, NC compiled by
Mary Lynn Morrill
Churches & Graveyards - local historic designation
Mount Carmel Baptist in Biddleville, 412 Campus St., Gothic Revival,
Mount Zion Lutheran in Cherry, 1605 Luther St., Gothic Revival, 1896
Old Holy Comforter(demolished)in Dilworth, 1510 S. Blvd., Gothic Rev.,
Hawthorne Lane United Methodist in Elizabeth, 501 Hawthorne
Advent Christian in 1st Ward, 101 N. McDowell St., Gothic Revival, 1919
First Baptist Church(Spirit Sq.) in 1st Ward, 318 N. Tryon, Byzantine
First A.R.P. in 4th Ward, Crn.N.Tryon & W. 11th,Gothic Revival,
Settlers Cemetery in 4th Ward, W.5th St., 1776
Hopewell Presbyterian in N. Meck.,Beatties Ford Rd.,Federal, 1831
St. Markís Episcopal in N. Meck.,Mt.Holly-Huntersville Rd., Gothic
Grace A.M.E. Zion in 2nd Ward, 219 S. Brevard St., Gothic Revival, 1902
Murkland Presbyterian(burned) in S. Charlotte,7001 Old Prov. Rd.,Gothic
Harrison Methodist(burned) in S. Charlotte, U.S. Hghwy #521,
Providence Presbyterian in S. Meck.,10140 Providence Rd.,Federal, 1858
Dinkins Property Cemetery in Steele Creek, Nationís Ford Rd., 1798
Steele-Creek Presbyterian in Steele Creek, 7404 Steele Creek Rd., Goth.
Good Samaritan Hospital Chapel(moved) in W.Charlotte,4232 Hovis
CHURCHES/Charlotte & Mecklenburg by
Bishop Herbert Spaugh - 1967
Charlotte & Mecklenburg County,
settled chiefly by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians in search of religious and
political freedom, from the earliest beginnings have attracted
church-going people. For many years Charlotte enjoyed recognition as the
greatest church-going city in the world with the exception of Edinburgh,
Scotland. This statement might be difficult to prove. But at any rate,
Charlotte and Mecklenburg County certainly are inhabited by church-going
people. Before 1770 there were Presbyterians. Lutherans, German Calvinists
and a few Baptists in the settlement. But Presbyterians predominated, and
by 1800 they had more churches and more members than all the other
In 1815 Charlotte set apart a lot on Trade
and Church Street to be used for religious purposes and a cemetery. The
church building was begun in 1818 but was not completed until 1823. It was
a town project used by various denominations. In 1832 the Presbyterians
assumed the debt on the church and in the following year erected a larger
building. This church, greatly enlarged, stands on the original site in
its spacious grounds. It is know as First Presbyterian Church.
The year of 1860 found Presbyterians,
Methodists, Baptists, Episcopalians, Lutherans, and Roman Catholics well
established in Charlotte, each with their own churches and pastors. There
was virtually no growth in the number of churches during the War Between
the States, but thereafter the expansion of religious institutions kept
pace with the growth of the town. In 1903 Charlotte had 64 churches. In
1940 there were 146.
The 1875 directory lists seven major
denominations - Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, Episcopalians,
Lutherans, Associate Reformed Presbyterians, and Roman Catholic. This list
of denominations remained constant until 1918 when a Synagogue was listed.
The Seventh Day Adventist Church was added by 1914; Christian Science
Church in 1920; and the Moravian Church in 1925.
Notations below are from The Story of Charlotte and Mecklenburg
LeGette Blythe & Charles Raven Brockmann - 1961
- About 1750 a Presbyterian congregation was formed at Rocky River with
the installation on Nov. 6, 1758 of Alexander Craighead as minister. He
thus became the first pastor of the first church of any kind to be
established in Mecklenburg County.
- In 1755 another group of pioneers organized Sugaw Creek Presbyterian
with Rev. Mr. Craighead serving there and at Rocky River until 1766.
- In the few years that followed the establishment of these first two
churches in Mecklenburg, six additional Presbyterian churches were
organized: Steele Creek(1760), Hopewell(1762), Poplar Tent(1764),
Center(1765), Center(1765), Providence(1767) and Philadelphia(1770).
- Almost fifty years elapsed between the building of the first seven
churches in Mecklenburg County and the building of the first church of any
kind in Charlotte. First Presbyterian Church of Charlotte was organized in
1832 with 36 members. The first small structure was replaced by the
current building November 17, 1895. Second Presbyterian and Westminster
Presbyterian united in June 1947 to form Covenant Presbyterian.
- The first Methodist sermon and probably the first sermon of any kind
ever preached in Mecklenburg was delivered by Reverend George Whitfield in
October 1742 at Davidson College. The first Methodist Church was Harrison
Methodist, a log structure built around 1810. First Methodist Church in
Charlotte was established in 1833. The original small structure was
replaced by the current building in 1859. Dilworth Methodist was founded
about 1907 and Myers Park Methodist in 1925. The original building of the
Dilworth church was on the corner of Worthington and Cleveland until 1926
when the sanctuary on E. Blvd. was completed. Members of the Myers Park
Methodist Church worshipped in the chapel of Queens College pending
occupancy of their own church, designed by Louis Asbury, in 1930.
- The last of the three largest Protestant denominations to become
organized. The first Baptist church in Charlotte was constituted in 1833.
The church had eleven members dismissed from Flint Hill Baptist just
across the S. C. line. It did not prosper and after a decade passed out of
existence. The first permanent Baptist church in Charlotte was constituted
in June 1855 and name Beulah Baptist Church of Christ. This began the
First Baptist Church. Pritchard Memorial Baptist was formed November 10,
1901, St. Johnís in 1922 and Myers Park in 1943.
- St. Peterís was established in 1834 on W. Trade St. The N. Tryon
site was completed in 1858.
- St. Peterís, the first in Charlotte, was dedicated in 1852. The
original small church on S. Tryon was replaced in 1892. St. Patrickís,
the second Catholic Church, was dedicated in 1939.
- Morning Star Lutheran near Matthews, organized 1775, antedates all
other denominations in Mecklenburg except the Presbyterian. On Feb. 1,
1959, St. Markís, oldest Evangelical Lutheran Church in Charlotte,
celebrated its centennial anniversary. The first building was located at
College and 7th Sts., the second, occupied from 1885 until 1960, was
located midway between 7th and 8th Streets, on the east side of N. Tryon
Street, and the latest building is on Queens Road.
Associate Reformed Presbyterian
- The Associate Reformed Presbyterian churches in the countryside
around Charlotte were Gilead/1787, Prosperity/1888, Sardis/1790, Steele
Creek/1794 and Back Creek/1802.
- Temple Israel is the outgrowth of the Hebrew Benevolent Society
which, in 1875, was a flourishing Charlotte organization. An early Jewish
leader in Charlotte was Samuel Wittkowsky. Temple Beth El was organized in
Seventh Day Adventist
- Dates in Charlotte from 1914. 1011 E. Morehead St. dedicated in 1951.
- Formed in Charlotte in 1920. The Little Church on the Lane (now the
chapel) was built in 1924.
- Organized in 1900 in Charlotte. The E. Morehead site was dedicated in
- First services were held in Charlotte in 1947 at the Broadway
- October 1, 1959 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints held
the first service.
- In 1929, the first congregation purchased a building on S. Blvd.
vacated by Westminster Presbyterian. In 1954, 600 E. Blvd. became the site
of the church
Quakers or Friends
- Organized in the spring of 1960
Click To Continue